This drug epidemic is unlike any other that preceded it, claiming victims across demographic, social and racial lines. Bucks County has been especially hard-hit, with 185 opioid-related deaths recorded last year, a 50% increase from the previous year. While the highest rates of overdoses are found in those of age 25-54, teenagers have been increasingly affected with victims as young as 12 years of age reported locally.
FAQ Addiction and Treatment
- Prevention education through updated age-appropriate curriculum at all grade levels
- Positive behavior programs (SWPBIS) throughout the district
- Student Assistance Program (SAP) teams are in place at each building to identify students at risk and direct them and their families to appropriate assistance programs within and outside the district
- Selected staff members at each school have received the overdose reversal medication Narcan® and appropriate training
- Staff training to assist in identifying the signs of substance abuse and the appropriate response
- The district has built strong relationships with local government agencies, law enforcement, treatment centers, social service agencies and community groups to help in these efforts